Sunday, March 11, 2018

The 1000th Mile For 2018

Roslyn Rose Gose by Court Avenue Brewing Co.  Very good!

Not an easy 2 and a half months for cycling but I have reached the 1000th mile for the year.  I have a quiver of four bicycles that I have ridden all year to get to the K mark.  The year began with temperatures down to -15*F, powerful NW winds averaging 20 mph as a headwind to work and then later snow and ice.  I could easily get to work during ice storms but getting home is difficult because the trails are worthless and the streets are full of cars after work.  Some weeks I'd ride to work only twice a week.  One day I drove because I was deathly ill and left work two hours later.  Another day I took off for a doctor visit.  I think I only have had two complete weeks of commuting via bicycle this year.  Basically, I I am about two weeks behind in mileage from previous years.  No big deal.  no reward of cash for that achievement, only personal satisfaction.

So what have I been riding?  Obviously, the Trek 7.5 that has rolled with studded tires for the past 10 winters is in second place with 412 miles.  My Gravity Vanquish single speed cyclocross bicycle is in first place with 452 miles.  This has been my main commuter for the past 2 years.  I love its simplicity i.e. ease of maintenance.  My main roadie, LeMond Versailles has been out twice gathering 77 miles.  And the newcomer, the Verenti Substance is trailing with 69 miles.

So Saturday I finally did it.  Should have been Friday evening since we were invited to the Cumming Tap for Colin's birthday but both Mary and I were dead tired after a long work week and Mary had a near death experience with a car on her way home.  Cut loses and rest.  I think we fell asleep watching Fred Armisen's special on NetFlix.

16 lbs of dog food.  Not visible are the coffee grinder, beach towel and the jacket and gloves i removed at the previous stop.  The temperature exceeded expectations at reached 47*F today.  Mary's Windsor mixte single speed is on the left side, twisted fender and all.

Marco's Pizza on University Ave across from Hy Vee, Windsor Heights.  Our first visit.  The pizza was good.  This pie and two drinks less than $20.

Without fanfare, the last 9 miles needed for the 1000th was a typical Saturday grocery run.  We took single speeds to Windsor Heights and raided Wal Mart and Hy Vee, dined at Marco's Pizza.  Dog food, a coffee grinder were needed.  On the way back we stopped on Water Works Bridge and chatted with Dave Humes and Sally Spenser, a couple of Quad City Goons who were on their way to the S.P.E.R.M. Ride (St Patrick's easy Ride in March) or rather waiting for the ride to catch up with them.  We would have joined them but we opted for a productive day.

I lacked the patience to retake this photo.  It was crappy and shaky.  But make it black & white and few other editing tricks and it is almost acceptable.

After leaving the bridge we productively rode to Court Avenue Brewing Co and downed a few mugs of their new Roslyn Rose Gose complete with rose petals.  Then off to home to grill a pair of New York Strips acquired from B&B Supermarket.  No need to venture out again.  Miles fulfilled, livers sated and bellies full.  Movie on tv and off to bed.  Wake up with every clock wrong and fresh snow.  Along the way I forgot about the 1000th mile.  I was happy to be outside riding with Mary.  Normally I would have toasted that achievement with my first beer but we did not.  On to the next thousand miles.

Someones garbage in front of my drive way.  A piece of foam.  I needed this photo for Bicycle ride & Seek on Face Book.  I did put this in the rubbish bin afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment