Thursday, March 12, 2015

Errandonee 2014

Errandonnee: Complete 12 errands in 12 days and ride a total of 30 miles by bike between March 5-16, 2015.

Winter Challenge Errandonee 2015 from Chasing Mailboxes blog.  I like to participate in bike challenges.  Bicycle Ride&Seek, Brewvet and now this.  12 errands, 12 rides.  Once again, mileage will not be an issue.



TRIP 1 YOU CARRIED WHAT ON YOUR BIKE??--15lb of dog food
DESTINATION: Store to Home
What I Learned: The Soho is not as stable loaded parked as the FX is.  The rear kickstand of the latter makes it better for parking the bike loaded.
MILES: 8.5
DATE: 3.5.2015



TRIP 2 YOU CARRIED WHAT ON YOUR BIKE??--$3 tallboy of Stella
DESTINATION: Mullets
WHAT I LEARNED: The Angel Cage can carry a tallboy but it rattles
MILES 1
DATE: 3.5.2015



TRIP 3 WORK
DESTINATION: Iowa Farm Bureau
WHAT I LEARNED: 23F with south wind feels like 40F after the below Zero day yesterday
MILES: 27
DATE: 3.6.2015



TRIP 4 STORE
DESTINATION: Fareway
WHAT I LEARNED: the juvenile bald eagle is still along the river and the nesting pair is still at their nest
MILES: 6.5
DATE: 3.6.2015



TRIP 5 SOCIAL CALL
DESTINATION: Pappa's Pizza, Polk City, Iowa
WHAT I LEARNED: trails were not clear of snow, crossing mile Long Bridge with tailwind and in Big Ring is fun
MILES: 55
DATE: 3.7.2015



TRIP 6 PERSONAL CARE
DESTINATION: St Anthony's Catholic Church
WHAT I LEARNED: the seat on the Bianchi not only is still uncomfortable but loose AGAIN
MILES: 1
DATE: 3.8.2015





TRIP 7 ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT
DESTINATION: Laotion Buddhist Temple
WHAT I LEARNED: This place could use a good influx of cash to fix it up a bit.  Such beautiful artwork here a bit marred by age and neglect.  Photo is a water fountain
MILES: 7.5
DATE:3.8.2015



TRIP 8 NON-STORE ERRAND
DESTINATION: Methodist Hospital
WHAT I LEARNED: Bicycling to this hospital is the best way to get there do to the location of the bike rack and never ending remodeling/construction at this place of healing
MILES 4.6
DATE: 3.9.2015



TRIP 9 PERSONAL BUSINESS
DESTINATION: Craig's House
WHAT I LEARNED: How to get to Ingersoll Ave from his place
MILES:12
DATE:3.10.2015



TRIP 10 SOCIAL CALL
DESTINATION: Red Bistro
WHAT I LEARNED: I can get a $18 bottle of moscato here, friend Colin turned 50 (his b-day party)
MILES:8
DATE:3.10.2015



TRIP 11 NON-STORE ERRAND
DESTINATION: Methodist Hospital
WHAT I LEARNED: I can make it all the way from work to here without having to stop to pee (I drank a lot of water at work)
MILES:4.6



TRIP 12 WORK
DESTINATION: Iowa Farm Bureau
WHAT I LEARNED: If I am late enough I can see another bike commuter going the other way on Westown Pkwy
MILES: 12.5


BIKES USED FOR THIS

Errands 1-2, 7 thru 12 2011 Trek Soho.  Designed for commuting.  Nexus 7 speed internal hub with Shimano Roller brakes.  Originally belt drive but replaced with chain before sold.  Bike World has a ton of these that never sold prolly because it requires tools to remove the wheels.  I got it last month and use it for my daily commuter.  It just rolled past the 300 mile mark.

Errand 5 1994 Trek 2200 road bike, Campy Veloce group.  Good old road bike especially when roads are not the cleanest.

Erran 6 Bianchi Boardwalk converted to Shimano 600 and Tiki bars.  Fun and great handling bike.  I need to put the rack back on it.  I usually use this to pull the Burley trailer to the store.

Errand 7 Mongoose Dolomite, proletarian fatbike

Also photoed in Errands 8 and 10 is my wife's 2014 Windsor singlespeed mixte.  It has the Bianchi's rack!  She has put about 3000 miles on this since mid-September






1 comment: