Sunday, January 27, 2013

Return to Cumming



Seems like it has been winter for a whole year. Although I visited Cumming 3 times last month I had to look it up on my bike log to get the details.  December 2, 2012, was the last weekend journey there.  Mary stoking on the fast tandem on a foggy 50F day.  Then two taco runs and a Wednesday "get some miles" ride.    Then the obligations of Christmas and the foot of snow that buried the trail.  Always the cold blast to seal our fate.  The very last visit was on December 21st, End of the World Ride.  Mary and I got as far as Orlando's when Craig acquired a SAG in Robb's truck.  The 9.5 miles from home to Orlando's was bad enough.  Adding 17 more would suck and forfeit our Saturday for a needed recovery.

So a month later it was time to return.  The snow had melted away.  Rumors of downed limbs begged us to cyclocross over them.  Although we planned to ride there earlier this month I turned it down.  Distracted drinking in other directions.  Gravel too wet. My cold restricting my riding.  Now it was dry and I am almost totally returned to health.  Last week's mere 50 miles needs to be avenged.  I can hear the Sirens' call.  Ride to Cumming.



Bike Expo day in Des Moines.  Seemed fitting to blow it off. Achilles is my mentor.  I went last year.  Grabbed some free shit.  No.  I want to ride.  Need to ride something significant.  Craig asked me to go to the Expo.  I declined.  Said I am waiting for the temperature to warm up and then riding south.  He agreed to meet me after he saw what he wanted to see at the Expo.  Good idea.  Craig get's entertained, we meet for lunch, the sun warms Iowa up and we ride to Cumming.  Bring lights just in case.

High Life for food.  Casey's on Park Ave for supplies and then the Great Western Trail.  The trail is in good shape.  There are a few ice clusters to negotiate but anyone with skill and a road bike could do it.  Lots of twigs and small tree debris.  Watch the shoulders for downed trees and limbs.  We saw 3 other bikes.



After 2 PBRs we left the Tap and headed back.  Not quite dark when we left the lean to.  Tunnel stop.  Army Post bridge stop.  Darkness for the rest of the trip.  Orlando's for a slice.  Decide to meet Mary at Shorty's for the Ragbrai Route Announcement.  But somewhere near Fleur Craig decides he needs to go home.  Fair enough.  Long day for him and Shorty's is not on his way home.



Mary has her bike parked at Shorty's AWAY from the freezer.  I order a Schlitz and pay for it and her pink.  Less than fiver!  Damn, I like this!  Two sips later a female manager type tells us that our bikes are blocking access to their freezer.  I find this dubious.  Throw day a dollar for the bar keep and leave.  My beer barely touched.  Long day anyway.  I had plenty of beer.  Unless the freezer users come from the debris pile north of the freezer I don't know how the bikes obstructed access.  Perhaps they had a large cart that rolls to where the bikes are parked....Don't know.  Don't care.  I will be creative with parking next time.  Funny thing is that we always park there.  Don't let this ruin the day.



Food at home.  Social media sparks to life as the Ragbrai overnight towns are announced.  Time for maps and markers and dreams of hot weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment