Monday, March 28, 2016

Typical Spring Commute



Typical early Spring commute home from work. Had to use the touring panniers until I get new commuter bags for this bike. Found the map I used for The Ragbrai 2015 inside one of them still in a sealed Zip-Loc baggie.

Made the mistake of putting them on the bike as I was ready to leave the house.  Simple design but requires a hex wrench to adjust.  The tool hunt and work delayed take off by up to 10 minutes.  At least i finished my ice coffee (cold left over from Sunday coffee plus half n half).

Mary and I rode together.  Saw lots of rabbits and deer and one other bike.  We also saw Jason and Cassandra walking their Airedales.  Instead of parting at the 8 mile mark I continued with Mary on the Clive Greenbelt adding 3 extra miles.  Been a long time since I have done this.  I need the extra miles.

It was 30F this morning so I wore a jacket, extra layer for the legs, balaclava, fleece, gloves and head band.  On the return I stuffed most of that in the bags.   It was in the low 60s when I left work..

Stopped at Barr Bike for a Cateye computer and 2 cages since this bike is new. Had Mary meet me at Windsor Heights Hy Vee because we needed bread and wine. Picked up 6 bottles of wine so I could get the 10% discount and the canvas wine bottle bag (holds 6) for free. Dropped everything off at home and then hit the corner store to pick up soda for Mary and Coca-Cola for my rum. 32 mile day for this single speed.

Waiting for the day that I can where the same clothing to work that I wear home but without hat, gloves, long pants and jacket.

Outside Graziano's  Only carrying 2 2 lt bottles of soda and my jacket but should have straightened the bag out before the photo was taken. 

2 comments:

  1. Graziano's? Is that any relation to the English teacher at our high school? and also, yes! I can't wait for there not to be a 30 degree jump in temp from morning to after work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not recall said English teacher since I avoided English and Lit as much as possible back then I regret. Most Italian AMericans here seem to be related. "Hello Cousin" is a popular greeting here.

    ReplyDelete