Thursday, February 16, 2017

On Your Left

Earlier this week, Wednesday to be exact.  Passing an elderly couple on the Clive Greenbelt.  On my approach I sounded the warning and my intention.  I try to keep it friendly.

"Howdy, passing on your left."

She stopped and turned around to look at me.  Smiling she said thank you.  Not the first time someone has thanked me for announcing my presence and intention.  But why?  Could it be she has never been on a trail and thought that my greeting was novel and the most kind thing ever uttered on a bike path?  Or was it that armleutchers on bikes pass her at high speed without warning?

I tend to think it is the latter.  Bicyclists are their own worst enemies.  Let them know you are coming around.  Try to keep it friendly.

1 comment:

  1. "Bicyclists are their own worst enemies" ain't that the truth.

    ReplyDelete