Monday, February 5, 2018

Well, it Was Safer Than Driving

Trek 7.5 FX with 700x35 Kenda Klondike studded tires.  great snow tires of the skinny variety.

Had I known that the consistency of the snow was akin to that of fine sand I may have drove.  But no, I got to be that person who brushes of the "ride safe" comments with "have a safe slide home in your car" remarks.  And that was working well with reports of multiple car pile ups brought to us by the 3 to 5" of snow that hit the metro.  But then again Todd Adamson rode his Surly Krampus into a school bus last Monday and more or less left his face there and damaged several vertebrae and hurt a knee.  So now the ball is in my court.  "My tires say Klondike, what do yours say?"

I tried to escape work early but my boss asked me to do something for him which delayed my departure but almost an hour.  Eventually I got to leave only to have to walk back to my office twice.  First time was because I forgot my light.  Once I put that on the bike I had to return to my office to grab my helmet.  At least I got warmed up.  It was like 11*F but the lack of wind made it feel more like 30*F once I warmed up.

The trip around campus told the story of the ride home.  It would suck.  The bike moved usually slow.  Still possible but it would be a long journey.  Just get me to the trail.  I was stupid and decided to take my shortcut to avoid a few miles of trail in hope for better time.  Wrongo boyo!  The sidepath was worse than the trail and I actually had to walk it hoping that my co-workers would not see me.  It was not plowed and had the extra snow that the snowplows threw on it from clearing the streets.  What should I have expected.  It snowed steady from 9 am and did not let up until 5 pm.  It could have been worse.  I saw a man in a wheelchair waiting for a bus.  He had to roll to the entrance of ADP in order for the para-transit to pick him up.

I eventually made it to the trail by accessing it at Greenbelt Dr.  Of course someone and their dog had visited the trail first,  But this time the foot prints became a guide since determining what was trail and what was not trail surface was obscured by snow.  By now the bottom pedal stroke was hitting the snow.  I could hear the tires squeak as it rubbed against the snow.  My glasses fogged up constantly making it harder to stay on the trail and more difficult to maintain best possible speed.  Breaks, I took a few.

Wishful thinking had me half expecting Windsor Heights having cleared their section of trail.  Nope.  Decision time was approaching. I was averaging 3 to 4 mph.  This meant that if I continued on the trail I'd be out for two more hours unless Des Moines Park & Rec plowed the Walnut Creek and Bill Riley Trails.  Even if they did and another 2" of snow fell on them it would still be an improvement over Clive's unplowed Greenbelt and Windsor Heights.  But this was a gamble I could not afford to lose.  Ingersoll Ave became my choice.

About this time I heard a voice of another cyclist.  He was on a fatbike making about 1 or 2 more mph than I was but having issues.  He had to walk it up the incline underneath 63rd.  He had issues with the snow just like I did.  I felt a bit better.  Maybe it is not just me or the hybrid bicycle I was riding.  I added steam and caught up.  We chatted a bit.  He thought there would be more fatbikes out, too.  He had a quarter mile left to ride.  Lucky bastard.  I  had over 6 miles if I continued on the trail,  Decision made.  Hit the streets!

That gamble paid off.  I climbed Ingersoll Ave from 56th to Polk Blvd at 5 to 6 mph.  Not bad considering that the road could have used a plowing.  Nobody honked at me.  They did honk at the Subaru that blocked the intersection of 56th and Ingersoll to allow a black sporty car to back down and pick another route.  And I did see many cars stuck at intersections spinning their wheels and ruining transmissions.  It was a relief to reach Polk Blvd.  Now to find the bike lane!

But the bike lane was covered in snow.  I did my best to stay between the lane and the curb.  Not an easy feat because the snow was what we refer to as mousse.  But I soon heard the cavalry.  Three snow plows in echelon formation heading my way.  I got on the sidewalk and gave them a thumbs up.  Should be easier now.  And it was.  

Crossing MLK my objective was to reach the MLK Trail/sidepath.  Easier said than done.  17th was a mess.  Intersections were horrid.  Snow was pushed up high and I had to walk across them.  But the trail was plowed at one point.  A light up ahead gave away the oncoming bicycle.  Dude on a fattie not pedaling but pushing with one foot while seated.  Mechanical?


Soon I was at SW 5th and it was plowed to the Jackson St Bridge.  My ticket home.  I stopped for a photo.  The photo does not describe the hell I went through but it is a reminder.  Whatever they call the trail on the south bank of the Raccoon River was plowed at one point and it was easy riding until I reached Mullets.  Mullets was closed due to the weather.  SE 1st was clear so I took it to Jackson and then cut over to 3rd but it was a mess and I walked that block or so.  Got to my street and took the sidewalk.  Not shoveled except for our portion but the lack of car and footprints made it rideable as opposed to the street which was an awful mess.  As I pulled up to my home the mobile rang.  I knew who was calling and I'd be inside with her in 30 seconds.

Honestly, one of the toughest rides in my life.  At least I survived unscathed and can brag about it.  Whisky, I need whisky and a large glass of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment