Sunday, April 21, 2019

Training For 2019

Obligatory bicycle at the Casey's in Carlisle.  On our way to the Summerset Trail and Indianola.  A great 44 mile round trip from our home.  Also this route is a gateway for centuries.

Nothing unusual in my schedule rides for this year.  First week of June we are taking road bikes and crossing South Dakota.  This will be our fourth adventure in that State.  July will see us riding loaded touring bicycles around Iowa.  But the  late winter weather with its snow, flooding and destruction of trails and bridges has put a cramp in our style.  But more importantly, my new commute has put a hurt on me.

My commute went from a 30 mile round trip to a 5 miler.  I had to haul ass for the long one.  The trip home allowed me to ride hard and longer if I wanted to.  Now I have two leisurely  2.5 mile trips each day.  No real need to ride fast.  For this ride I wear the clothes I work in instead of bicycling clothes.  Even my shoes.  Get up, get dressed and take off.  Park the bike and start my job.  Nice.  Saves a lot of time.  Even during winter I wore my work clothes.  Only once or twice did I add a layer to my legs, usually a pair of sweat pants that I's pull over and off my work slacks.  The way it should be.  Mileage died.  For the past four years as tracked on the Icy Bike Winter Commuter page's spread sheet on FB I averaged 3150 miles of commuting only from October through March.  Last year a mere 500 miles for the same time period.  Yeah, commuting miles are junk miles.  But.....

I'm experiencing leg pain on long rides.  Never have I experience painful legs after a 40 mile ride.   One early ride a week or two ago they'd be screaming at me!  No pain no gain.  I lost a lot of ride time and now I'm rebuilding.  I really should not feel bad.  One of my teammates said he did a 45 miler and "it felt like 45 miles."

Every weekend I pick a destination and increase my mileage.  The goal is two back to back 60 to 80 miles day.  Dakota will see us do 503 miles in a week, 52 69 63 91 69 88 and 71 mile days.  Some climbing, well a lot of climbing especially when we traverse the Missouri River Valley.  Need to be ready.  Suffer here to enjoy riding over there.  Ride Across South Dakota

Miles first to build up the core.  Then hills.  Just need weekends with good weather and motivation to crank out 20 to 30 milers after work.  I get off early so that should not be an issue.  Weather...

1 comment:

  1. I bike commuted to work for 10 years. It's the only fond memories I have of working for a living. This post reminded me of those days.

    ReplyDelete