Sunday, May 29, 2022

Rob's Memorial Day Ride

Rob

Annual tradition of Rob Denhartog is to gather a group of friends and ride to the High Trestle and back. This usually begins at the High Trestle Trail trailhead at Firetrucker Brewery in Ankeny, Iowa.  Usually ends very late at night or like this year, very early in the morning.  This year a record 14 riders showed up, mostly from Team Bill's Team thus named in the honor of Bill who passed away a few years back.

About 630 pm we departed Firetrucker, and headed to Slater where Cody was waiting for us.  He started earlier.  The ride in the waning sun was wonderful, beautiful Iowa countryside illuminated by the low hanging sun.  Trees had leaves and the fragrance of flowers wafted everywhere.  Trail traffic was light, too, and the fast riders sprinted off.  I was between the fast and the slow/late start group.  Alone in my thoughts, happy to be riding and happy with new tires I put on my bike mere hours before leaving home.  The double-edged sword of a tailwind helped and I hoped that it would diminish for the return trip.  No one stopped at the Oasis so onward full speed ahead.

Rob took a photo of me taking a photo of him.

Hydration is key!


Adam Whitehead at the Night Hawk

Stablemates

Rob standing behind Shane. 

Our Irish Contingent, Liam in blue.

Logan as Macho Man!

Slater's Night Hawk Bar & Grill was the first stop.  Two drink stop.  Adam Whitehead was the musical entertainment.  Business first, I had to relieve my bladder.  Of course, a line at the men's room but the women's room was not occupied.  I looked at the bartender/server and said that I was identifying as a woman right now and she said go ahead and use the ladies room.  It's a new era...

Another Trek Domane sighting...

Trek Domane+ LT 7

Cannot seem to get away from Trek's Domane line of bikes and writing bout them.  At breakfast I read an article of the E-bike version of the Domane.  Looks like a normal bicycle which I like since 99% of e-bikes look like cheap rides--wide bars on a comfort bike frame.  Battery seamlessly hidden in the downtube and the power goes to the bottom bracket rather than a giant hub in back.  Capable of propelling the cyclist up to 20 mph, after that they are on their own to ride faster.  Designed for hills. Read about the Domane+ LT 7.  Lo and behold, there is one at the Night Hawk!

I was the last one to leave.  As I was finishing prepping I noticed a man standing next to the red electric beast.  I asked him if it was his.  It was.  I complimented him on it.  He asked if I do The Ragbrai.  My standard answer, I used to but now take loaded touring bike on my own route to avoid the crowds. I do RASDak instead since I can handle 200 people better than 20,000.  When asked he allowed me to lift it.  Heavy but who cares when it can get you to 20 mph on flats and hills.  He then dropped the bomb, he has lung cancer.  One lung not functioning.  Damn.  I'd get the best e-bike I could, too, if that happened to me.

Brian Duffy

Then the journalist in me popped the question, what's your name?  Brian Duffy.  Yes, that Brian Duffy, illustrator/cartoonist for the Des Moines Register.  WOW!!  We shook hands and I wished him well.

Casey Jones you better watch your speeed

Unnecessary excursion on the Heart of Iowa Trail

Lesson:  when leaving the Night Hawk be sure to start riding on the westernmost trail.  My group was gone.  Out of sight.  I was very excited. "Remember that bike I pointed out??  It belongs to Brian Duffy!!"  But that tale would have to wait.  Big ring, crank hard and level off at the highest sustainable speed.  But things looked different.  Never recalled seeing a residential neighborhood next to the trail.  Perhaps there was a reroute for safety.  Pavement looks new.  Railroad crossing sign, that's different.  Where's the grain elevator, I should have passed it minutes ago?  Wait a minute, hold up, something's not right!!  Perhaps I should turn back.  Soon enough a sign indicated that I was on the Heart of Iowa Trail and NOT the High Trestle Trail.  Sigh, late start and Wrong Way Feldmann.  No rest for the wicked, flank speed now.  The missed turn was reached.  Put hands in the drops to squeeze out another couple of mph and head down.

It was getting dark.  Sunglasses were still on but I lacked the time to stop and switch lenses.  Oh well, they are not that dark anyway and they'll help with the bright lights that soon will come my way.  Stare at the flashers up front and make time on them. Not my people.  Off to the right a long fireworks display was erupting in the sky perhaps over Granger.  7 miles later I was in Madrid but no one stopped so another 2 and half miles to the Trestle.  It was full dark when I found our group on the overlook.

Into the wind

I rarely take a good selfie

The red in my headband shows up...

Camera moments under the blue

Mary's 'someone farted' face

This bike's second trip to the High Trestle at night

Obligatory stop under the blue lights.  I could have stayed there until they shut them off but people were thirsty and the Flat Tire Lounge was calling us.  One drink and appetizers.  Then the battle against the wind commenced.  Since it was late and dark I could not read my computer and lament about my speed.  Focus on the flashing lights ahead.  Focus on pedaling.  Just 7 miles to the next bar.  Back at the Night Hawk I downed a bottle of water with a hydration supplement that Beau handed out at Firetrucker hours ago.  Bought a Guiness Nitro as a roadie for the Oasis.  Our numbers had dwindled.  Only 5 of us for the final push and we arrived within minutes of each other at our vehicles left at the brewery.

Great ride.  Got home about 2 am.  Gonna be sorrow try to wake up tomorrow as Bowie once said.  I was unable to get out of bed to ride on the RRVT trail with another group of friends.  Rainy morning anyway.  Until next year...

Apologies to those I uncovered and to those I failed mention or forgotten their names.


No comments:

Post a Comment