Friday, February 17, 2023

Snow Day and First Bridge Beer of 2023

 

The confluence of the Des Moines and Raccoon Rivers.

The forecast called for any amount from 3 to 7" of snow.  We got 5.7" in my fair city while I was at work today.  The snow was supposed to start at 3 am and every time one of woke up we'd look out the window and see nothing.  I think the snow started around 445 am in my neighborhood. Maybe a quarter inch was on the ground when I left for my place of employment at 530 am.  15 mph headwind was present to keep me awake.  People thought I was crazy for riding my bicycle to work.  But as I tell them "I just look stupid riding my bike for 2 miles each way.  In a car, bad things could happen."  And bad things happened.  Reports of cars sliding through intersections and my middle son totaled his Jeep on ice today.  My Honda and Pontiac, very snug at home.  Studded tires, lights and dress for the weather.  It was fun!  I drove, 7°F did not seem appealing, the next day and followed a Ford that did not have its headlights on.  Despite flashing her several times she just drove on without lights.  "If everyone has lights on why should I have mine on?  They can see me.  You saw me.  I saw them."

Nothing to note about the ride to work.  Not much snow and the streets were wet to clear.  The snow off to the side had round dark marks where salt landed and burnt a hole in the fresh snow.  I should have put my contact lenses in so I could wear my ski goggles but that would have taken thought and effort.  As it was the snow had an icy bite on the exposed skin of my face and my huge nose.  Crossing the pedestrian bridge to the service road for Principal Park (minor league baseball field) was the same.  I spotted some virgin snow next to the eastern curb, so I headed over there and rode on it until I heard the surface crunch as I was now on a thin layer of ice covering the puddle next to the curb.  Best return to the middle of the road.  I was successful here although there was one quick spin of the rear wheel indicating that it had lost traction.  Then battle the wind as I rode to the sheltered bike rack.  Rode on the wrong lane on Watson Powell Jr Way because the service that removes the snow on the parking Lot #34 along Weitz Construction Company merely piles it up near the sidewalk and as the snow melts it creates ice and black ice on the street.  Safety hazard.  I was the first one there!  I was the only one that used that rack.  No one else rode. 

This photo was taken to show my butcher that my winter specific tires collect snow.  The last few times I have visited him he had been lamenting that his 29" MBT tires have been packing up with snow.  I probably lower my PSI.

All day I watched the snow and the wind.  7th Street never looked plowed.  When it was time to leave, I would have a tailwind.  I took the short route home.  Streets were not the best.  Smashed snow that the rear wheel likes to drop through a layer randomly and jerk the bike from the loss of momentum.  Soon Buick Park Avenue spun its way through a turn.  Crap tires that won't be replaced until cords start showing when the tread disappears.  Looking for the cleanest line was the game.  Even Court Ave was crap.  I elected to ride on the sidewalks careful to avoid the visiting families here to enjoy the State Wrestling Tournament.  My mission at that store was to purchase bootlaces for Mary and myself since she said hers were on the last string.  No laces at 420 Court Ave Hy Vee so I bought a beer.  Why not?  I'd be crossing a bridge soon.

My first Bridge Beer of 2023.  I have significantly reduced my consumption.  I have beer in the refrigerator that I purchased for Thanksgiving.  It will be Presidents Day next week!

That bright thing in the sky is not a Chinese spy balloon, rather, it is the sun.

The pedestrian bridge between the ballpark and Mullets had been cleared but additional snow and blowing snow created snow piles over two feet deep.  But that did not stop me from enjoying a beer.  I turned my back to the wind and drank its hoppy goodness.  The outside temperature was a balmy 23°F.  Wind was a calm 15 to 25 mph.  Wind chill readings are for the weak.


Peace out!!

2 comments: