Saturday, November 11, 2017

Silent Rider


There is a person that I see every so often cycling his way to or fro work.  Usually I spot him at 517 am in the Windsor Heights/Clive/West Des Moines area.  Many times I did not realize it was him.  Back a few years ago when Mary worked in Urbandale (crap generic name for a city but it was named after Mr. Urban) we would ride together and part ways at the end of the Windsor heights trail where the Clive Greenbelt begins or as it is known for its landmark, the Burger King on 73rd by the Wal Mart.  Occasionally we would see this guy riding on the street and heading up Buffalo Rd.  One time when I was riding my slow Soho with the horrid Nexus 7 speed internal hub,  I did catch up with him at the intersection of 22nd and Westown Pkwy but he did not acknowledge my presence.  Oh well, I climb that hill on Buffalo Rd like a demon and I was happy enough with that.

Through the years my commute has changed and I started taking the Greenbelt all the way to 128th.  And on those days I'd occasionally see a bicycle blinkie heading the same direction on University Ave.  Who is that?  Where's he going?   How's his commute?  Or her.

Once again my route changed due to reconstruction on the Greenbelt.  Now I take the trail to 86th St and ride on the new trail access and enter the street, University Ave, across from the Casey's and Hardee's.  One morning last week as was on the bottom of the climb I notice a blinking red light about a 1/2 mile ahead of me.  Another bicycle!  I wonder if the rider is on this road because the trail is closed??  I better catch up.  So I put more effort into pedaling since by bicycle has only one gear.  And the effort paid off as I caught up with the cyclist around Valley West Mall.

This rider had a flasher on the bike, a flasher on the helmet and a reflective pant tie/strap on each leg.  Good visibility.    He also had a backpack on instead of using the collapsible rear baskets his bike had.  Then I recognized the bicycle.  It was the same one I'd see at 517 am heading to Buffalo Rd.  Must be the same one I'd see on University Ave when I was on the Greenbelt near 515 Brewery.  I reached deep and summoned more power to overtake and pass this commuter.

As I passed him I said good morning hoping to elicit some response and have a conversation about the ride.  Get some different perspective of commuting by bicycle in the metro.  Solicit his opinion on conditions and trail work ect.  Networking.  I have met quite a few people on my ride to and fro work.  We have each other's backs.  Now some folks are silent and never say a word unless it is to warn of a fallen tree, suspicious vehicle ahead, flood ect.  Others are friendly and will say good morning.


So my new encounter on University Ave said nothing.  I pulled along side him and said good morning.  No reply I responded with a hello.  Nothing.  No movement, no word, no waves, no middle finger just silence.  Not even a movement of his head.  He just stared straight ahead like I was not even there.  He looked to be in his 50s hitting his 60s.  Dressed as a normal human, no overpriced cycling clothing, jeans and a jacket.  Maybe he socially ill, some sort of mental health flaw.  Maybe he was so lost in thought that he was not aware of my presence despite my voice and lights.  May be just a loner.  Or a dead person.  Or an undead person.  A ghost?  Figment of my imagination?  Sign of of a diagnosed brain illness?  Deaf?  Headphones?  But he looked to be a serious commuter with all the lights and reflective stuff.  And this twat, me, pulls up and asks for validation.  Even a response like Ralph Feinnes gave to the train passenger in the film  In Bruges would have been preferred to silence.  Nada.  Add more power and leave this guy alone.  Would not be the first hill I smoked him on.


So he blew me off.  That's ok.  I do not need this validation of my life.  Just wanted to network.  Gather information on riding conditions ect.  Some people do not speak or smile or acknowledge others.  I saw him again and I know where he turns off of University.

No comments:

Post a Comment