Tuesday, November 14, 2017

"Will You Ever Drive?"

I was asked this tonight by a co-worker.  I just wanted to tell him about the POS car he owns and drives and what a money pit it turned into.  And the car that his nephew destroyed last week.  But I lacked the crayons to draw him a picture that he would understand.  I simply replied that I enjoy riding a bicycle to work and enjoy the freedom of a car free life.  No payments, not insurance, no big repair bills ect.  If my bicycle won't start in the morning i.e. flat tire of something wrong, I just grab another from my fleet.

Cars cost about 1/4th of people's income.  That's a sacrifice I enjoy not making.

So I wonder if he thought of me when he stepped out into the drizzle tonight.  Yeah, he probably chuckled knowing that he would be dry while I spent an hour getting wet.  But I was not unhappy.  Quite the contrary.  It was a warm ride home and warm rides home are becoming a resource we are running out as winter approaches.  I also carried home 4 unopened bottles of wine left over from tonight's special event on my bicycle.  And that made me smile.

Wet clothing.  I'll wear something different tomorrow.  Perhaps with the money I'm not spending on a car I will buy some better rain clothing.  Or bicycle parts.....or a new bike....

Will I ever own a car again.  Probably.  But I do not feel the need for one now.

No comments:

Post a Comment